We are looking for an effective Safety and Health Manager to play a major role in helping write, retain and service workers’ compensation policyholders. Position reports to Regional Officer and manages San Diego Region team of (8) Safety & Health (S&H) Department employees. Ensures high quality safety and health service to policyholders, agents/brokers, and internal customers. Well versed in workers’ compensation and modern safety practices. Coordinates day-to-day activities, workflow, and assignment completion for S&H staff. All tasks performed with the goal of achieving underwriting profit and demonstrating superior workers’ compensation expertise.
The position pays in the mid $150s with bonus and car. Relocation assistance is available for the right candidate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for performance, development, coaching and continuous improvement of Regional S&H staff.
- Ensures effective assignment and completion of work
- Ensures workflows and systems are efficient and effective.
- Ensures staff effectively evaluates workplace safety and health exposures including manual material handling and ergonomics; machinery and equipment; falls; motor vehicles; occupational disease; and other employee injury/illness exposures.
- Ensures staff effectively evaluates prospect account and policyholder workplace safety and health programs.
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of evidence-based consulting and ensures staff applies evidence-based consulting process to target employee injury exposures most likely to affect policyholder performance and underwriting profitability.
- Ensures effective and efficient service to policyholders underwritten by and/or located in the San Diego Region service territory.
- Develops and implements strategies that optimize S&H Department performance and Regional underwriting results.
- Effectively markets the S&H Department.
- Ensures staff meets department standards work quality, productivity, and time service.
- Leverages data to optimize performance and manage costs.
- Actively contributes to national S&H Department leadership planning and decision-making.
- Acts as technical resource to others.
- May conduct fieldwork.
Education, Skills and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required with preferred field of study in occupational safety, industrial hygiene, science, or engineering.
- Achieved S&H related master’s degree or recognized professional designation such as CSP, ARM or CIH.
- Six years S&H experience.
- Two years leading others with proven record of results managing direct report employees.
- Demonstrated skill in defining, measuring and increasing performance, and reporting outcomes.
- Strong knowledge of workers’ compensation insurance including understanding of experience modification, underwriting, and claims practices.
- Working knowledge of return to work program features and benefits.
- Understanding of insurance carrier performance metrics, and how S&H Department affects financial results.
- Understanding of occupational medicine provider network features and benefits.
- Experienced with P&C insurance agent and broker interaction.
- Effective communication, with strong sales and presentation skills.
- Ability to learn and use proprietary systems.
- Driver license in good standing.
If interested, please contact Stan Lopata at (619) 206-6800 or email@example.com