Cox Petroleum Transport is a petroleum transportation company that has been in business since the 1960’s. Today we operate 13 terminals in California and Texas and approximately 170 power units; we are still growing. We service the western United States hauling gasoline, diesel fuel, jet fuel, and lube oils for delivery to service stations and truck stops. Our long-term customers include Chevron, ExxonMobil, Shell Oil Co and Tesoro (Andeavor) just to name a few. As you consider employment with us you will find that we care about the things you care about, every day at Cox is “Safety First, Safety Always, Safety for Life” – we value safety above everything else and our safety record shows it. We have newer and well-maintained equipment with a stable replacement program.
The Field Safety Specialist provides support to the Safety Supervisor by assisting with safety training programs, responding to accidents and injuries, conducting loss investigations, performing root cause analysis, and conducting behavioral observations for assigned terminals and drivers. The position also acts to support terminal managers in all safety endeavors to ensure compliance with internal and customer safety and compliance policies and government regulations. The Field Safety Specialist will be required to work independently, exercise considerable judgement regarding driver qualifications during the hiring process, evaluating drivers during their initial training period and monitoring drivers on an ongoing basis to ensure that they are performing their work in a safe manner.
- Must read, write and speak English fluently
- Must possess a valid Class A driver’s license with a HazMat and Tanker endorsement.
- Must have a minimum of five (5) years Class A driving experience (Fuel tanker driver experience is preferred, but not required) AND have a minimum of one (1) year of experience in a safety leadership or driver trainer role.
- , OSHA and Hazmat regulations is required.
- Demonstrable ability to assist driver getting out of a station when stuck, how to maneuver truck in tight situations, have knowledge of how the truck and trailer combination performs while backing up and the risks involved in specific maneuvers.
- Must have prior training in and knowledge of proper roll over prevention techniques.
- Must be able to promote a safe environment at all times, providing leadership and guidance according to Company guidelines and policies, and government regulations.
- Must have ability to be fair and balanced enforcing Company approved policies, regulation, and procedures
- Prior defensive driving training is preferred; certification as an instructor and/or Smith System Certification are a plus.
- Environmental, Health and safety certifications are a plus, but not required.
- Pump certified and carded at one or more terminals a plus.
- Knowledge of and experience with supporting DOT electronic logging devices (ELD’s), on board cameras and computers as they relate to safety and compliance is preferred.
- Experience with SpeedGauge systems is preferred but not required.
- Ability to work independently after initial training
- Demonstrable ability to multi task and remains organized and efficient
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Programs including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint is required.
- Prior classroom safety training experience is preferred, but not required.