The Environmental Health and Safety Manager will create, implement, and sustain processes and procedures for all areas of EHS management for Phenomenex Inc., in collaboration with Operations and other key functional organizations. Using the Danaher Business System (DBS) and DBS tools, establish a Phenomenex EHS management program, EHS risk and compliance management, training and self-audit processes, , EHS data management tracking and reporting capabilities,. Develop and implement EHS compliance and risk reduction plans. Develop and implement water, waste, and energy cost containment action plans . Review new/modified products, processes and equipment. Evaluate legislative and regulatory changes relating to EHS issues for impact on organizational policies, processes procedures and equipment. Provide on-going communication related to EHS performance, priorities, cost and major issues to all stakeholders.
- Develops and implements policies and programs for identifying monitoring and controlling chemical, physical, and biological hazards at the facility.
- Create site specific Environmental Health and Safety (EHS)programs in compliance with OSHA, and other regulatory agencies.
- Evaluates company health and safety performance records, internal compliance audits, training, and makes recommendations to upper management to correct any observed issues.
- Work proactively with Maintenance and Production team to ensure that programs are clearly and accurately communicated, implemented, enforced and documented at the workplace.
- Conducts accident investigations, studies, interprets results, presents specific conclusions, and makes recommendations to immediately initiate corrective actions needed.
- Verifies that hazardous chemicals are handled, stored and disposed of in accordance with regulations.
- Develops EHS training programs. Conducts annual refresher training to all employees in the area of EHS, ergonomics and other required aspects through material development, schedule coordination, training data tracking, etc. within regulatory requirements.
- Executes, measures, and monitors process to assess the overall safety performance and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Maintains OSHA compliance and provides technical guidance to management, government agencies, and regarding health-related problems and correct use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Conduct hazard assessments, safety inspections and compliance audits to measure compliance and effectiveness.
- Analyze trends through root cause analysis to identify causation and risk factors to develop corrective or preventative action measures.
- Maintains working knowledge of new developments in the industry and governmental regulations
- Serve as an Emergency Response Coordinator for the facility, assisting with the coordination of emergency services and contractors.
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety & Health or a related science or engineering field .
- Masters in related field a plus.
- 5+ years of work experience, preferably in manufacturing, in workplace EHS management.
- Associate Safety Professional (ASP), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), or Certified Industrial Hygiene (CIH) certification is desired.
- 3+ years of supervisory experience.
- Working knowledge of OSHA regulations, policies, programs, PPE, safety engineering, accident/injury investigation procedures and operating rules, etc.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Proven ability to influence actions and mindset throughout cross functional areas.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, strong attention to detail, organizing and prioritization.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills along with proficiency in Microsoft Office Products.
- Excellent organizational skills, flexibility, and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must be a team player with excellent people skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing organizational and operational needs; ability to lead others through change
- Ability to work flexible hours and possible overtime, and business travel when needed.
- Food industry and/or agricultural experience is a plus.
- Spanish speaking is a plus (training, investigations, etc.)
Phenomenex is a global technology leader committed to developing novel analytical chemistry solutions that solve the separation and purification challenges of researchers in industrial, clinical, government and academic laboratories. From drug discovery and pharmaceutical development to food safety and environmental analysis, Phenomenex chromatography products, technical services and chemical reference standards accelerate science and help researchers improve global health and well-being.
Selected by the Wall Street Journal as an “Exceptional Workplace,” Phenomenex is defined by its passionate people, dynamic culture and distinctive ingenuity. These common characteristics unify the Phenomenex companies worldwide behind our mission “to promote the growth, prosperity and well-being of those we serve – our customers, our employees, and humanity.
Link to apply can be found https://www.danahercareers.com/en-US/job/head-of-environmental-health-safety/J3M7C66M3WDMZRSC22J