At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives. With $32 billion in sales, our 91,000 employees connect with customers all around the world. 3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas. Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.
3M is seeking an Advanced Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Engineer for the Advanced Materials Division (AdMD) Plant located in Irvine, CA. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The person hired for the position of Advanced Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Engineer will assist in the coordination and completion of site EHS compliance objectives, while using engineering/scientific concepts, procedures, standards, and industry awareness to identify and resolve EHS issues. For additional information, please visit: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/design-and-specialty-materials-us/ceradyne/
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career. Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Foster teamwork with Manufacturing, Quality, Division Engineering and other staff groups to ensure compliance with regulatory and company policies and requirements, and identification and control of EHS risks
- Performing and guiding technical EHS activities resulting from approved self-initiated or assigned projects and programs leading to innovative applications or extensions of existing or new programs/systems
- Providing leadership for plant EHS programs & training including but not limited to: Fall Protection, Lock Out Tag Out (LOTO), Stormwater, Confined Space Entry/Rescue, Chemical Safety, Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), Industrial Hygiene (IH), Site Emergency Coordination, Waste Management, Ventilation, and Respirators/Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Prepare and complete required Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Certified Unified Program Agencies (CUPA), South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) , Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP), and State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) reports
- Developing appropriate documentation on plant systems to comply with 3M requirements on Global Safety and Health Plan (GSHP), Global Environmental Management Self-Assessment (GEMSA), Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) and Compliance & Audit Management & Metrics System (CAMMS) Programs
- Assisting facility in achieving Global Safety and Health Plan (GSHP) and global environmental management system goals and compliance
- Applying scientific, engineering principles and behavioral based systems to drive EHS risk reduction efforts and compliance activities
- Completing internal and external EHS compliance reports and analyze EHS data and report trends. Recommending plans for correction of gaps and provide EHS input to address change (e.g., plant Management of Change processes)
- Implementing on-going industrial hygiene chemical and noise assessments and monitoring plans; implementing ergonomic programs to reduce risk of cumulative trauma and other ergonomic injuries at the plant
- Actively supporting a Zero Today Culture environment through personal responsibility for safety, promoting a culture that reports incidents and potential issues, and actively supporting plant safety observation programs
- Participating and/or leading portions of EHS self-assessments and/or audits. Acting as a facility representative during agency inspections, including but not limited to EPA, Orange County Health Care Agency (OCHCA), CAL OSHA, fire department, and county
- Interactions/Communications: Providing EHS knowledge and services on existing and new programs; communicating project or program status and results to management
- Communicating effectively in written and oral forms with peers and others at varying levels within the organization. Presenting ideas well one on one, in small groups, and to larger audiences. Having the ability to convey the meaning and importance of EHS topics to non-EHS personnel and to influence others to take appropriate action based on such information. Actively seeking to continually improve communication and presentation skills.
- Providing technical assistance and guidance to plant by leading or assisting in safety committee teams and meetings, including EHS regulatory interpretations.
- Providing EHS support in the design and installation of new or modified equipment and management of change processes. Assist with meeting plant Lean Six Sigma projects, including management of Green Belt projects related to EHS.
- Participate in and/or leading investigation of EHS incidents.
- Assisting with coordination of site hazardous waste disposal, including managing Waste Stream Profile System and coordination of transportation and disposal of wastes.
- Lead sustainability projects related to energy, waste, and water
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree or higher in a science or engineering discipline (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- Minimum three (3) years combined of Environment, Health, and/or Safety work experience in a private, public, government or military environment
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS), Industrial Hygiene, Engineering or related discipline from an accredited institution
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in a manufacturing/production environment
- Professional certification(s) such as: Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) American Board of Industrial Hygiene, Certified Safety Professional (CSP) Board of Certified Safety Professionals, and/or Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) Institute of Hazardous Materials Management
- Experience with EHS program development, implementation and/or management
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute projects
- Self-starter with strong interpersonal, influencing and communication skills (oral and written)
- Other preferred skills include strong team building skills, the ability to set and achieve priorities, strong organizational skills, attention to detail and a sense of urgency
- Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus
- Microsoft Office proficient
If interested, apply at this website: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/955403555/