The Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) is seeking an experienced health and safety leader to manage the Laboratory Chemical & Physical Safety Program at Stanford University. Reporting to the Director of Research Safety, this position manages chemical and physical safety issues related to research and laboratory teaching activities, in concert with the Biosafety & Biosecurity and Health Physics programs. The position manages a team responsible for the administration of several key programs including the Chemical Hygiene Program, Hazardous Materials Program, and the Research Safety Advisor Program. The purpose of the group is to support the academic community to: assess and control chemical and physical hazards; manage projects related to the implementation of controls for higher hazard processes; create and deliver training for laboratory-related topics; conduct laboratory incident investigations and lessons learned; and provide guidance and job aids to units in their local implementation of safety and compliance requirements.This position is expected to take a leadership role in support of efforts to advance a strong laboratory safety culture across disciplines. This requires productive collaboration with the Director of Research Safety, supporting the integration of safety functions to keep pace with rapidly changing laboratory research objectives and clinical research needs. To achieve the successful delivery of research safety, close coordination with affiliated units within EH&S including the Occupational Health Center, Stanford Fire Marshal’s Office, Strategic Initiatives, Emergency Management, Occupational Safety and Health, Environmental Protection Programs, Digital Services, and the Deputy Director, is essential.In addition to providing routine EH&S program management services, staff are to provide support as needed during University emergencies. All EH&S staff must comply with governmental regulations, and University and departmental policies and procedures regarding health and safety and must observe and support good health and safety practices.
Responsible for the management of the Laboratory Chemical & Physical Safety programs, strategy, and staff activities along with related organizational performance standards to support the university’s mission.Job Code: 4387Grade Level: MNote: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
- Design, develop, and oversee the implementation of the Laboratory Chemical & Physical Safety Program and allocate appropriate staffing and other resources to achieve the objectives.
- Develop capabilities of staff.
- In conjunction with Director of Research Safety, maintain and control of their unit’s financial budgets.
- Advise EH&S leadership of legislative agendas and ramifications for research safety; develop appropriate strategy to address situation.
- Conduct technical and business briefings related to laboratory chemical and physical safety for senior management.
- Direct and manage strategic relationships both inside and outside of Stanford University in regards to laboratory chemical & physical safety; maintain a high level of interaction and collaboration with clients and research and academic safety peers across the university. Build relationships with key vendors.
- Represent the university as the designated senior safety officer on matters related to laboratory chemical and physical safety when mandated by regulatory requirements
- Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in arts/science in related allied/scientific field and seven years of progressively responsible experience in occupational safety management and compliance. Preferred:
- A combination of one or more certifications: Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
- Three years in a leadership role in an academic/research environment.
To apply for this position:
- Go to http://stanfordcareers.stanford.edu/
- Click the button “Search Jobs” at the top of the page
- Type in the job number “84063” in the Job Number search field in the middle of the page
- Click the button “Search for jobs”
- Click on the Job Title
- Click the button “Apply Online