Drive health and safety performance across SoCalGas insuring continuous improvement. Responsible for overall leadership, strategy, and day to day management of safety and health professionals to implement corporate programs and policies for field and office partners. Act as liaison for regulatory agencies and corporate Health, Safety and Security. Leverages industry relationships to continuously benchmark and apply utility industry and general safety best practices across the organization. The position is responsible for the overall effectiveness of the Safety and Health department and its support, coaching, and training of supervisors, managers, and directors in the effective implementation of the Company’s Safety Management System as it pertains to worker safety.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Directs, provides guidance, and manages implementation of employee safety programs. Responsible for overseeing the completion of ESCMP audits for all company facilities. Oversees the effective implementation of thorough incident investigations across the company. Reviews incident investigations and provides documented feedback to division supervisors, managers, and directors.
• Develops and participates in strategy and long range planning processes within the worker safety area in support of Safety Management Systems. Analyze incident reports, metrics and injury case studies in order to institute changes that lead to a safer environment. Delivers monthly reports on the quality of incident investigations, job observations, and hazard identification efforts. Leads major initiatives, including those which focus on safety culture, with company personal and third party contracted labor, reporting out on activities, and metrics to measure progress. Consults on major projects to review HASP, HAZOP, and HAZID plans and studies are thorough and effective. • Counsels, guides and informs the region and corporate departments of safety issues relative to California Division of Occupational Safety and Health (Cal/OSHA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) / California CPUC regulations. Provides counsel and training to region and corporate personnel for improvement of investigation to identify accident causes. Responsible for communication, training, and overall subject matter expertise regarding the Company’s IIPP (Injury & Illness Prevention Program).
• Manages team of department staff that includes represented and management employees to ensure department goals and objectives are implemented and achieved. Allocates resources to ensure that an appropriate level of service/performance is provided.
• Establishes and maintains open and effective lines of communication with partners to assure safety objectives are met. Consults with stakeholder groups to set safety goals. Establishes requirements for meeting long-term objectives. Recommends work methods and solutions for specific situations by promoting safety and health awareness and safety conscious behavior and compliance system-wide. Manages citations from governmental agencies from receipt to appeal, payment or other resolution.
• Provides input, review, and subject matter expertise to external processes and organizations, including but not limited to the General Rate Case, safety related risk reporting (RAMP, ERR, etc.), AGA inquiries and other safety related ICP metrics. Performs other duties as assigned.
• Plans, supports, and executes on emergency response and mutual aid assistance as needed for large company incidents. Participates and manages on-call responsibilities within the safety organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree Industrial hygiene, safety, environmental engineering, business, occupational health, physical science or related discipline. Required.
- Master’s Degree Industrial hygiene, safety, environmental engineering, business, occupational health, physical science or related discipline. Preferred.
- 10 years Safety, industrial hygiene, environmental engineering, health, management, engineering or related work experience. Required.
Skills and Abilities
- Must possess and demonstrate strong leadership, adaptability, and interpersonal skills. Advanced.
- Must be client-focused and effective in a “shared goals” environment. Advanced.
- Must possess the ability to assess and solve complex problems and propose innovative solutions and technologies. Advanced.
- Must have a working knowledge of statistical analysis, lean/six-sigma methodologies,, management theory, project management, and strong written and verbal communication skills suitable for an executive or external audience. Advanced.
- Thorough knowledge of corporate/company policies and procedures, field operations and activities of an energy utility business. Intermediate.
- Strong understanding of Human Performance Factors and Human and Organizational Factors. Advanced.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of OSHA and DOT/CPUC compliance regulations. Advanced.
- Strong knowledge of occupational and safety health issues that pertain to heavy construction or energy utilities. Advanced.
- An understanding of the basic fundamentals of engineering is required. Intermediate.
- Knowledge of Oil and Gas Industry Operations and work practices highly desirable. Intermediate.
Licenses and Certifications
- Certification in an industrial hygiene, safety, or environmental Multiple certifications are highly desirable. Required.
Link to posting: