Date: May 25, 2021
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Mark Company is a respected general engineering firm based in Orange, CA. Over the last 35
years, our business has grown 55 times larger as we built our small paving outfit into one of the few
companies in Southern California providing comprehensive demolition, grading, wet utilities, dry
utilities, site concrete and asphalt paving with our in-house teams.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We like to employ and work with people that share our values. Here are a few ideals that are
important to us:
• We deliver high quality constructed products.
• We take responsibility and solve problems proactively.
• We identify opportunities and dare to take them—whether that means quickly adopting
cutting-edge technologies or strategically adapting our departments.
The Safety Manager is primarily responsible for leading and managing the Company’s safety
initiatives and safety loss control programs, and the development of a safety and risk management
culture. Assures the Company’s safety program is designed to comply with OSHA and other
construction industry standards.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
• Researches new regulations and developments in the field of Health and Safety and
recommend changes in the Company’s program.
• Leads development of and clearly articulates Company’s safety vision, objectives, strategies,
policies, and procedures in order to build a safety culture dedicated to behaviors.
• Assists in the documentation and implementation of required or desired changes in the
• Ensures safety & health training meet the needs of internal and external requirements, so
Company staff has the safety training to safely perform tasks and jobs.
• Writes job specific safety plans; schedules job site visits and safety audits.
• Ensures full compliance of the safety program.
• Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions
and conclusions, and monitors results to make improvements or take corrective action.
• Leads incident investigations and properly documents and reports all findings to the
Executive Management Team.
• Manages hazard assessment activities by conducting and/or supervising safety inspections,
and analyzing inspection and incident data to identify opportunities to develop preventive and
• Reviews documentation to insure all required onsite records and reports are complete,
accurate and submitted per established procedures.
• Reinforces safety awareness in a manner that promotes cooperation and improved morale.
• Assists in the tracking of the Experience Modification Factor while increasing awareness.
• Coordinates with insurance carrier’s safety persons.
• Accompanies all safety, health and insurance inspectors on walk through inspections.
• Provides tailgates safety talks to crew at job sites.
• Develops annual plans & budgets for safety & health initiatives.
• Organizes and keeps employee safety certifications up to date.
• Manages workers comp & vehicle claims.
• Manages return to work/restricted duty program.
• Manages safety incentive programs which reward targeted behaviors & results.
• Performs additional assignments as required by operating needs of the company or as
directed by upper management, including but not exclusive to: ensuring compliance with
pollution control and environment issues; involvement in disaster response and planning.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred in environmental health & safety, safety management,
construction or related field.
• OSHA certification required; CSP certification preferred.
• Minimum 3 years of experience in construction industry safety management.
• In depth technical knowledge of construction related OSHA, federal, state, and local
regulatory standards, and ability to recognize hazardous situations and implement effective
• Experience managing staff and third party hired firms.
• Must be an effective communicator, generating professional written material and delivering
effective verbal presentations.
• Must have a valid driver license.
• Clear understanding of Company mission and values.
• Ability to work independently and as part of team.
• Work is performed in an outdoor setting, which could include inclement weather, heat and
humidity, and exposure to dust.
• Work environment periodically exposes the employees to high levels of noise, grease, and
dust that is typically associated with a construction project.
• Work may involve a variety of substances commonly found on construction sites such as
form oil, grease, curing compounds, gasoline, diesel fuel and ready mixed concrete.
• Use of personal protection equipment is required.
• Use of appropriate safety equipment is required.
• Be able to work overtime when required.
• Ensure a safe work environment in compliance with all safety policies and procedures.
• Pass Pre-employment drug screening and maintain compliance with the company’s drug and
alcohol testing requirements.