We’re a big company with big ideas. And while we started out small we still retain a close-knit feel and an exceptional company culture that’s tough to find nowadays. We have a great story and even better people to tell it. Whether in corporate headquarters or out in the field, it’s our people who got us where we are today. Five business units and 40 years later, McGrath RentCorp is a premier $500+ million Bay Area-based diversified business-to-business rental company of more than 1,000 employees and 35 years as a publicly traded company (NASDAQ: MGRC). If you value building meaningful partnerships, a dynamic work environment, and want to help build on our success, we want to talk to you! So what are you waiting for?
The EHS Specialist III is an experienced Safety position located in Mira Loma, CA, and is a key role responsible for further developing and implementing a strong safety program for the Mira Loma facility, as well as other facilities within an assigned region.
The position is also responsible for providing support to the leadership teams, driving continuous improvement in the safety culture, and responsibility for the implementation of corporate safety policies and procedures at assigned facilities. The EHS Specialist III role also closely monitors safety and health regulations and provides technical guidance and support to division and corporate personnel to ensure compliance with federal and state safety and health requirements.
Duties/Responsibilities of Position:
- Be primary driver tasked with responsibility for implementing and further developing a strong safety program and safety culture for assigned facilities.
- Assess overall safety program and procedures, identify gaps, work with leadership team to identify and implement any needed program-related improvements to close gaps
- Work to control hazardous working conditions and unsafe employee activities through interface with management/supervisory personnel. Conduct Risk Assessments and Job Hazard Analysis to improve work processes. face
- Conducts regular walk through safety audits of facilities and jobsites to determine compliance with company rules.
- Inspect facilities, machinery and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure compliance with safety regulations.
- Completes reports of audits/inspections in a timely manner documenting any noted deficiencies and follow up to ensure corrective action.
- Investigates any accident, incident and near miss occurring at assigned facilities or on a jobsite with involvement from leadership and safety team; complete all required documentation on a timely basis.
- Identify and implement best practices and continuous improvement initiatives to reduce work process hazards, and raise safety awareness.
- Monitor safety efforts of subcontractors and company employees.
- Validate and improve compliance with Corporate and Division specific Injury and Illness Prevention Program and relevant procedures through implementation, inspection and review.
- Evaluate the use and selection of approved PPE. Make recommendations related to PPE policies.
- Prepare and provide training material, including relevant work process, OSHA compliance, new hire training and tailgate topics.
- Lead local safety committee meetings.
- Maintain chemical inventory and current Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Ensure compliance with all applicable Environmental regulations.
Position Specific Competencies/Skills Required:
- Experience and expertise in safety and environmental principles and techniques. Knowledge of applicable Federal, State and Local regulations (OSHA, EPA, DOT).
- Excellent interpersonal skills (verbal, written, electronic) with the confidence to interact and communicate effectively with personnel from all levels of the organization. Promotes collaboration, conversation and teamwork to drive results. Strong listening skills with the ability to listen effectively, demonstrate understanding, and clarify meaning for others.
- Ability to be a leader, further developing a strong safety culture.
- Ability to build trust, form relationships and influence without authority. Ability to drive results, be a change agent, and embrace and effectively manage change through a hands-on approach.
- Capable and experienced in identifying known or potential exposures and recommending and implementing corrective actions.
- Excellent business verbal/written communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to interact with contractors to maintain safe work sites.
- Ability to work with industrial hygiene instruments, including calibration, use in the field, and downloading data.
- Must be organized and methodical with the ability to learn quickly and adapt easily to change. Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Strong ability in analysis and identification of risk trends, problems and solutions. Understands and has ability to drive and apply meaningful operations and safety performance metrics.
- PC skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office products such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook is required.
- May be required to climb stairs and ladders or crawl into crawl spaces, balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch as needed. Must be able to occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
- 8 or more years of safety specific experience required.
- Experience leading EHS programs at multiple locations.
- Environmental experience a plus
- Experience developing a safety program and driving strong safety culture required.
- Bi-lingual (English and Spanish) a plus.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal, State and Local safety and environmental regulations (OSHA, ANSI, NFPA, EPA, DOT).
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree desired.
- Travel to company facilities (potentially up to 40% of the time). A clean, valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record will be required.
The pre-employment screening process includes social security verification, criminal background check, drug test and a motor vehicle record will be processed as well.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Interested applicants can apply through our website at: